The greatest shoal on earth! I can only describe it as the best natural event I have ever witnessed, and I have witnessed some pretty amazing things underwater. It happens when a band of cold water gets pushed up the coast by changing weather patterns.
The greatest shoal on earth! I can only describe it as the best natural event I have ever witnessed, and I have witnessed some pretty amazing things underwater. It happens when a band of cold water gets pushed up the coast by changing weather patterns. This band funnels massive shoals of sardines up the East coast of South Africa towards hungry predators waiting.
The action normally starts around Port Elizabeth and East London before reaching the Wild Coast and then onto the east coast. The area between East London and Port St Johns is located on the hot spot of this migration route and this area has brought the best action over past years. Common Dolphins, Bottlenose Dolphins, Cape Gannets, Brides whales, Humpback whales, Dusky sharks, Copper sharks, Bull sharks, Black tip sharks, Ragged tooth sharks, Cape fur seals, even Sailfish can be seen in this area at this time.
Our main goal is to find bait balls, but it does not go off every day. On slow bait ball days, we will dive with dolphins, Humpback whales and sharks. This makes it the ultimate Ocean Safari. The run is unpredictable, weather is unpredictable – but the payoff is very rewarding!
Join Shark Explorers as we search for some unforgettable experiences.
Location: Port ST Johns.
Dates: Jun 11 – 21 Jun (9 Days / 10 nights)
Accommodation: The Creek lodge – Satellite TV on suite
Meals: Continental breakfast, packed lunch on boat, dinners.
Equipment: Portable air compressor, 10lt Dive tanks (DIN/INT), Weight belts with 2-7 pound weights, spare: Regulators, BCD’s, Fins, Masks for rent on site.
Boat: Explorer 1 – 9m ferel semi rigid dive boat, 2 * 140hp 4-stroke Suzuki motors, GPS, Fish finder, Licensed by SAMSA for up to 40 miles offshore. Carries 12 people.
Rates: R44 330 p/p sharing (plus an additional R3 000 for a single supplement) OR R311 245 for private charter. Min 5 divers and Max 8+1 guide.
- – 9 days at sea (weather permitting).
- – 10 night’s accommodation.
- – Meals – dinners, boats lunch, continental breakfast.
- – Return transfers from Durban airport (noon pickup/drop off).
- – Daily transfers to lunch site and scenic drives.
- – Shared aerial information.
- – Cylinders, fills and weight belt.
- – Experienced dive guides and Skipper.
- – Airfare.
- – Dive insurance/travel insurance.
- – Dive gear (can be rented if needed).
- – Alcoholic drinks.
- – 6am – 6h30am Breakfast.
- – 6h30am transfer to boat.
- – 7am – 2pm at sea searching for action (on non-sea days there will be land based activities planned).
- – 3/4pm back at lodge.
- – 7pm dinner and fire.
BOOKING TERMS AND CONDITIONS.
- – Credit card or bank transfer.
- – A 50% deposit is required to secure a booking.
- – The balance of payment is due no later than 2 weeks prior to departure.
- – If the final payment is not received timeously, Shark Explorers reserves the right to cancel the reservation without notice.
- – 7pm dinner and fire.
- – 120 days or more – 25% payable.
- – 60-120 days – 50% payable.
- – 30-60 days – 75% payable.
- – 30 days or less – 100% payable.
For booking enquires contact:
Please note that there is a 50% deposit. required to
book spaces on these expeditions.
Places will only be held with a full deposit &
completed terms and conditions form.